BIG UPDATE!
So I haven't felt very well for almost a month now.
I had a nasty bladder and liver infection and the doctor thought the infection came from a bigger problem with my liver.
My pee pee was very yellow and it took my an awful long time to get over the sedative he gave me to drain my bladder.
So they did some tests and treated me for the infection, and I felt much better, but 2 days after they finished my antibiotics I started straining to pee pee again.
So they gave me an ultrasound and the doctor told Mommy I had to go to a specialist because it looked like I had a "portosystemic shunt", which is
"abnormal vascular connections between the hepatic portal vein (the blood vessel that connects the gastrointestinal tract with the liver) and the systemic circulation (Figure 1). Such anomalies cause blood in the gastrointestinal track to be diverted past the liver, there by limiting the liver's vital functions in metabolism and detoxification of compounds and the body's defenses against intestinally derived pathogens. This effectively exposes the body to toxic by-products of digestion (toxins and bacteria) and mimics the effects of liver failure." http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html
ANYway, long story short, I had surgery July 28 and came home August 1.
They didn't find the shunt so it looks like I have "Hepatic microvascular dysplasia"
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dliver.html#Hepatic%20microvascular%20dysplasia , which cannot be surgically controlled.
So I will eat my low-protein food and take Lactulose for the rest of my puppy-years. Lactulose is an over-the-counter medicine that helps control my ammonia levels.
So I will eat my low-protein food and take Lactulose for the rest of my puppy-years. Lactulose is an over-the-counter medicine that helps control my ammonia levels.
My wound is almost totally healed now and I'm very happy and barky and playful!! I'm bored with typing! I want to play!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home